21st Century Career Girl

21st Century Career Girl

Monday, August 20, 2012

Caster Semenya...

Caster Semenya, South Africa's star athlete has grabbed a lot of attention after the women's 800m final in the 2012 London Olympics...

Prior to 2012, Caster was surrounded by much controversy regarding her gender back in 2009 when she won her title the first time round at the age of 18.

Back to talking about the women's 800m, which many thought Caster could have won, but didn't. Listening to the radio on my way to work the morning after the final, I heard many Radio Dj's voice their opinions in why they thought Caster took home silver instead of gold...
One Dj went as far to say that she " threw the race away".

After spending most of  my day listening to these kinds of comments... I asked myself  "why would someone give an Olympic gold medal away"... This just brought me to think about 2009 incident... I mean if  my gender was questioned in front of the whole world for simply winning a medal, why would I want to participate in any event of that nature again... It's simply embarrassing.

Personally I feel that South Africans should get behind Caster just as they have backed Chad le Clos. Caster is an exceptional athlete and is a force to be reckoned with. Instead of questioning her performance and scrutinizing her every move, we should support her, especially after the almost career ending 2009 saga...

GO CASTER......................

No comments:

Post a Comment